- Michael Boyle's 10 Skills for Success is an outstanding resource on how to work effectively in a team, and how to be happy at work. (slides)
- Setting up EZProxy for UCalgary. The university has subscriptions to many major digital libraries. Getting this set up allows you to get PDFs from off-campus.
- Proposal Writing
- Clark, H. H. (1999). Everyone Can Write Better (and You Are No Exception). A quick, but super awesome read.
- Saul's guide on how to write related literature section
- Another tip on related work: it's like a cocktail party, and you're the host
- Related Work Tutorial
About Graduate Life
- Core Competencies of a Graduate Student Some random thoughts about what I think make a solid graduate student.
- Four Pillars of a PhD A tongue-in-cheek post I wrote years ago about PhD depression. You're not the only one!
- Applying to PhD Programs in Computer Science A mix of "what you need to know" and some nice pieces of personal advice. Some of it is US-centric, but most is applicable generally.
- CS Grad School Part 1: Deciding to Apply Personal stories by Jean Yang, a PhD student at MIT.